Monday, September 20, 2010

Horror Movies – Fright on Film

With Halloween approaching, I thought it befitting to have a small discussion on horror movies.

Horror films have been around since the advent of motion pictures beginning notably with Edison’s 1910 silent adaptation of Frankenstein. Throughout the years the silver screen has graced us with such notable horror film actors like Lon Chaney Sr., Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Angus Scrimm.

Horror and monster movies were a big part of my childhood. I remember begging my parents to let me stay up late on Friday and Saturday nights so I could watch Elvira, Mistress of the Dark and Fright Night, both of which aired on a local t.v. station and showcased the horror/sci-fi genre of movies. The coolest part of these movies nights was that it gave this young man quality time to spend with his father. Like most typical young lads of that time, my room was decorated in monster posters, monster magazines and of course my plastic monster models.

Over the years I’ve watched a lot of monster/horror movies, some great, some lame. After some thought, I came up with a list of my all-time favorites:

1. The Pit and The Pendulum (with Vincent Price)
2. The Wolf Man (with Lon Chaney Jr.)
3. Curse of the Werewolf (with Oliver Reed)
4. Curse of Frankenstein (with Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee)
5. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (with Vincent Price)
6. Frankenstein (with Boris Karloff)
7. The Thing From Another World
8. Halloween (John Carpenter’s 1978 original)
9. Phantasm
10. The Shining (with Jack Nicholson)

So there you have it, my top ten horror movies of all time. What’s your fright of choice?????????????

The Undertaker

3 comments:

  1. These are definitely not in order, but here it goes...

    1. Psycho
    2. Pet Cemetery (all of them)
    3. Nightmare on Elm Street
    4. Exorcist
    5. The Omen (something about demon children frightens the hell out of me... :-/)
    6. The Shining (again w/ the demon children...)
    7. The Birds
    8. Children of the Corn
    9. The Faculty (it's just funny to watch Frodo get high... heehee!)
    10. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YOU ARE DEFINATELY MY CHILD! THAT IS TOTALLY MY LIST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like Horror movies... Most of these I wouldn't watch sitting in the driveway at high noon much less alone in the dark.... screw that!

    ReplyDelete